Friday, June 11, 2010

and the road goes on forever........

THE EVENT WAS A NIGHT TO REMEMBER. The Allman Brothers Band recently paid a visit to their home town of Macon, Georgia. The original members of the band hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony at their former home (now a museum)"The Big House". The night was reserved for music.

You would have to be from Macon to understand the emotional tie this city has for the music of the Brothers. It has been with us since the late 60's. Not all Maconites feel the depth of dedication to which I refer. Many do.

This band, like no other in my humble opinion, provides the listener with a comparable range of emotions. The tunes are alive. Those of us who are part of the family can equate our entire lives with the music. It is our soundtrack.

The recent show in Macon was a religious experience. The time and place were right. The band felt it, and the crowd responded. As the music swelled, something was happening on a biological level. We were one. I know it sounds hokey and cliched, but it is a plain fact.

I used to travel a lot and people would frequently ask about the band, equating them with my home town. I would always react with pride. Our love of the Allman Brothers is something we cherish. We will share it with everyone. You will not turn on VH1 and see Gregg and the boys stuck between Kanye and Lady Gaga. They are in all the appropriate halls of fame, however, the band has never received it's deserved exposure on a mainstream level. I feel that this is part of their mystique. Videos are fine, but their level of creative expression needs to be experienced live.

I would like to thank the band for what they have meant to me for the last 40 years. I would like to thank them for a memorable evening at home. I would also encourage all to find a show and go. You can enjoy any band. There are very few out today that you can truly experience. So join the family. We always need a few more brothers and sisters.

No comments: