Thursday, April 1, 2010

Nuthin on

My memory of my childhood is extremely detailed.  I am accused of lying in some circles.  My brother in-law feels that no one could accurately remember their childhood in the manner of which I am accustomed.  This same individual believed the weapons of mass destruction story as well,  I mention his opinion for reference only, not to achieve any validity for my prose.  One of the memories that I often ponder is my past love of television.  Different shows mark different stages of my youth.  Of course there were only four channels to choose from.  There was ABC, NBC, CBS and the Superstation, channel 17.  The Superstation was the original product of a good Georgia boy who made it big, Ted Turner.  I am not sure which parts of this great country received TBS in the beginning.  If you did not, I will not apologize.  You should have lived in Georgia like normal people.  Regardless of the limited choices, the programming was spectacular.  There was always something to watch.  My formidable TV years range from 1968 to 1979, so the shows I mention will reflect this long gone era of superior entertainment.  Here are a few of my favorites: Gunsmoke, All in the Family, The Partridge Family, Gilligan's Island, Hogan's Heroes, Mash, Happy Days, Good Times, Leave it to Beaver, The Rockford Files, Mannix, The Streets of San Francisco, Night Gallery, Star Trek,  Perry Mason, Maude, The Bob Newhart Show, Mary Hartman Mary Hartman, The Jefferson's, Soap, Charlie's Angels, Laverne and Shirley, Love American Style, Grizzly Adams, Laugh In,  The Walton's, The Love Boat, Bonanza, Truth or Consequences, The Tonight Show (with Carson), The Gong Show, Match Game, Fantasy Island, Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, American Bandstand, The Banana Splits, Loony Toons, etc.  I could keep going, but I think you get the picture. I'm talking about good TV, back in the days when rasslin' was real!  Even the shows that were in syndication at that point were better than today's programs.  There were no recording devices.  We were required to adjust our lives.  Hurry home so we can see what JR did this week !  There was anticipation from week to week.  Watching reruns was like eating a box of chocolates (You know the rest). There was a total absence of reality TV shows.  Who needs reality ?  There are enough freaks in my daily existence to cover that void.  We watch to escape reality.

The Present number of channels is mind numbing.  A show's season only runs 8 to 10 weeks.  Even at that rate they still take a few weeks off.  The news we hear is all according to what channel we watch.  I miss Cronkite.  We need people who report the news, not people who make it.  The present shows can be fit into one of five basic scripts.  You figure that one out.  For example, go watch a few old episodes of CSI.  It is not hard to find them.  I think there are approximately 9 channels that run the show 24/7.  If you watch close, it will be apparent that they are simply changing the names and in what manner the victims die.  A monkey could write this show, but it remains number one.  I spend hours trying to find quality.  I flip through the 266 channels that are provided, and without intention, I always end up back on TBS or TV Land.  Ted left a legacy, the programmers still understand that the goods have past us by.  Why write and produce new shows, when you can better the competition by running the same old reruns. I do appreciate some of todays shows, but I could not start a list.  Please Hollywood, help us out.  Get creative.  Make the writers work.  Reality TV is mindless.  Really, it sucks !   Oh screw it; I'm going to watch some Barney Miller reruns.

No comments: