Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dogs, Friends, and Family

I have spent a large portion of my existence in the presence of canines.  I am comfortable with them.  I am not sure exactly how I stumbled upon this lot in life, however, I am keenly aware of the purpose that these creatures serve.  They provide comfort.  They are a diversion to those upright associates that tend to cause pain and stress in my world (aka friends and family).  Don't get me wrong.  It is not their fault.  I love my friends and family (most of them anyway).  It's just that relationships of that type come with stress related obligations.  Dogs are there for me. The following items never come into play, when dealing with canines: hygiene, manners, clothes, money, politics, religion, emotions, open communication, in-laws, etc.  I hope you as the reader can see where I'm going with this.  In short, my relationship with my dogs requires little or no compromise.  Granted, there is some basic responsibility as a pet owner, but the absence of all drama is euphoric.  My young Cocker Spaniel (Dude) is with me now.  He is snug under the blanket.  His feet are lightly trembling as he pursues a rabbit in his dreams.  A few moments ago, I released a 20 second fart that scanned approximately 9 octaves by my personal count.  He was the victim of a "Dutch Oven".  Although he is sharing room under our blanket with the essence of pork loin and butter beans, he continues to sleep peacefully.  It may not be very pleasant for him.  After all his sense of smell is extremely more sensitive than ours. Who knows where he draws the line when dealing with specific aromas?  The bottom line is, he accepts my lewdness graciously.  I as a friend will extend to him the same courtesy should his digestive system fall into question.  This rather vulgar scenario describes our relationship perfectly.  I marvel at his total lack of expectation.  He is totally accepting of my world.  Please understand that the type of canine comfort of which I speak is earned.  Developing a "good dawg" is an art..  This skill will be addressed in a later blog.  I will leave you now, because Dude and I both would like a treat.  Tonight, we will be sharing a few Cheez-itz and perhaps a few dry Apple Jacks for desert.

No comments: